Updated by Gmelius
As a team, you need to improve efficiency and ensure equal and prompt assignment of emails. Moreover, if your team receives a high volume of email conversations in their shared inbox, a manual assignment can prove quite cumbersome to use.
Gmelius Rules can automatically assign (i.e., auto-assign) emails received in a shared mailbox to the users of the shared mailbox in a load-balancing or round-robin manner.
The round-robin assignment is available on the Pro plan.
In this article we'll cover:
- What the difference between a load-balancer and a round-robin is
- How to enable assignment in a load-balancing and round-robin manner
- How to manage team availability for round-robin assignment
- How to exclude users from the auto-assignment queue
What is the difference between a load-balancer and a round-robin?
Automated assignments in a load-balancing manner mean that each received email that meets specific criteria is automatically assigned to the users with the least assigned conversations (including Open and Pending conversations).
Automated assignments in a round-robin manner mean that received emails are being evenly distributed (in alphabetical order) among teammates with the status Available.
How to enable assignment in a load-balancing or round-robin manner
To create a rule access your Gmelius dashboard 👉 gmelius.io/automation/rules/create
- Enter a name for your rule and select a shared inbox or label to associate this rule
- Every rule needs three things:
- "When (For Each)" trigger conditions determine the rule to be applied
- "If" filter conditions determine the criteria that have to be met for the rule to be applied
- "Then" actions - a set of actions that will be applied to the conversation if the conditions are met
Specify the criteria and conditions that match your workflow (e.g., for each new conversation), and on the actions section select: Assign to.
To enable assignment in a load-balancing manner select "Any teammate with the least open conversations".
To enable assignment in a round-robin way select "Available teammate".
- Save your rule, and your auto-assignment is set!
How to manage team availability for round-robin assignment
Each teammate can set their availability themselves.
To manage your availability, click on the profile icon at the top of the Gmail right sidebar, and use the toggle to change the status.
You will see a green circle if you are available, and a grey circle if you are not available for round-robin auto-assignment.
If you are a super Admin, admin, or team manager, you can overwrite your teammate's availability. To do so, click on your profile icon at the top of the Gmail right sidebar, and then on Manage team availability.
How to exclude Users from the auto-assignment queue
You might want to exclude certain users from automated workload distribution (regardless of their availability status). You can do that by using the ‘Exclude teammates from Auto-Assignment’ option.